A Singapore-based private chef, food and travel blogger. As a professionally trained visual designer and self-taught photographer, I’ve been creating plant-based recipes for the past decade. I’ve also appeared on Singapore’s MediaCorp’s Channel 8 programme, Hello Singapore, to share my recipe for plant-based bak kwa (Chinese pork jerky). My first recipe book titled, “More Than Veggies – Asian Favourites Made Plant-based” was released in August 2020 (available in major local bookstores and online) and will be available on Amazon International from April 2021 onwards.
Besides cooking and baking, I love cats, teaching, learning Japanese, watching anime and filmmaking. Currently working towards living my ideal life in Japan’s countryside.
I grew up in a vegetarian family and turned vegan at 18 because:
1) I don’t wish to support the dairy industry after learning about the truth (feel free to google “truth about dairy” if you’re curious).
2) I had digestive issues since young due to a combination of heredity and unhealthy lifestyle habits. By avoiding dairy, I could manage the issues well without any medication.
I also discovered a new hobby, purpose and found a community. The so-called ‘restrictions’ make me think out of the box. It taught me to appreciate food much more because of the efforts put in a single bite. It empowered me to take charge, be independent and responsible for myself.
I love the fact that I don’t remember the taste of animal foods. There’s no pressure to replicate and fill in big shoes. Plant-based cooking is about coaxing out the full flavour potentials in 20,000 species of edible plants and melding them to create robust dishes, not imitating something that it isn’t. My approach is intuitive, inspired from my Northern Chinese heritage, Singapore’s diversity, Southeast, South and East Asia’s colourful cuisines, family recipes and vast vegan resources available everywhere.
I hope this blog contributes more diversity to the scene. Conscious lifestyle choices have no cultural boundaries. Here’s a collection of what worked for me, hope they inspire you to experiment and make your own 🙂
HOW TO SUPPORT
As with the food I make, I put in a lot of effort to make written and video content for you. As of Jan 2021, I do not earn from making content. If you really enjoy my content, here are a few simple ways to support me:
- Follow me on Instagram, Facebook and YouTube , comment and share often 🙂
- Download the world’s best vegan app for free and add code MORETHANVEGGIES upon signing up. Share your reviews of vegan dishes and products! Each review posted can raise US$1 for animal welfare.
- Buy “More Than Veggies – Asian Favourites Made Plant-based” (print or e-book) on Amazon or Goguru. If you’d like a signed copy, feel free to email me at the address below 🙂
Collaboration enquiries: morethanveggies @ outlook.com